Monday, June 7, 2010

XD Old dubmerch is fun

So the other day Mom brought home some elderly Yugioh magazines and such (circa Pyramid of Light) that she found free/cheap at a yardsale, and I have a few comments in reaction to them:

1. I never knew that Scholastic printed a "guide" to Yu-Gi-Oh using the overused official art and barely-informative blurbs. I was horribly amused. (Kid brother William ended up with it, and he's thrilled.)

2. Johnny Depp as Marik. My brain just about exploded trying to imagine him in one of those belly shirts, pretending to be fourteen. It didn't help that Beckett readers also voted the Rock to be Odion. I seem to recall hearing something about this back when it happened. Other trials on my sanity included Jim Carrey as Joey and some random homely child actor as Yugi (keep in mind he would have had to also play Atem. And, you know, the kid was like ten, and Yugi is older than Marik. Who would be Johnny Depp.) Oh yeah, and Hillary Duff as Mai. They VOTED for these. Never leave casting to a bunch of pre-teens.

3. Hayden Christiansen as Bakura? Hayden is six foot two. Bakura is shorter than Joey-- who is something like five foot nine.

4. Obelisk the Tormentor versus any critter in any other number based card game: Depends on how easy it is to feed Obelisk. DUH. XD

5. I was reminded very strongly as to why I quit buying these things shortly after starting. On the one hand, nice little art gallery. On the other... Yeah. I was never twelve when I watched this show.

On a related note, we were watching Duelist Kingdom episodes again recently, and I suddenly realized for the first time that Hitotsume Giant is wearing shadow pants, even in the dub. Holy cheese.